Pre-Occupational Therapy Timeline:
First and Second Year
- Download our Pre-Occupational Therapy Guide below and subscribe to the HPOInfo emails.
- Get to know your professors.
- You will need faculty evaluations when you apply to occupational therapy schools. Two from science faculty are recommended.
- Meet with a pre-health professions coach.
- A coach can help you explore health professions and discuss your goals and preparation, especially how to make the most out of your first two years.
- Declare a major by your second year on campus.
- Non-College of Natural Sciences students are highly encouraged to add the Pre-Health Professions Certificate. Learn more about the certificate here.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities (e.g. student organizations, volunteering, and shadowing in medical settings, community service).
- English proficiency: international students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Attend the Health Professions Fair each year, generally held in February or March, to visit with representatives from occupational therapy schools and other health professions programs.
- Keep viable career alternatives open.
- Complete pre-occupational therapy requirements by May of your third year.
- Prepare for and take the GRE, ideally no later than the end of your third year.
- Visit occupational therapy school websites; decide where you will apply.
- Ask faculty who know you well if they will write evaluations in support of your occupational therapy school applications; you will need two faculty evaluations. Science faculty letters are recommended.
- Attend the Health Professions Fair, generally held in February or March, to visit with representatives from occupational therapy schools and other health professions programs.
- Complete and submit occupational therapy school primary and secondary applications in the summer, after your 3rd year.
- Most occupational therapy school interviews take place during the late fall and early spring semester.
- Acceptance to occupational therapy school begins during the spring semester.
- Complete UT Austin degree requirements necessary for graduation.
- Throughout your fourth year, continue in pre-occupational therapy activities and additional courses to prepare for occupational therapy school and to strengthen your application in case you need to apply again.
DIY Pre-Occupational Therapy Student Planning Guide
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Pre-Occupational Therapy Student Planning Guide & Self Assessment document provides important resources for UT Austin students planning on applying to Occupational Therapy School.