DIY Pre-Dental Student Planning Guide
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Pre-Dental Planning Guide & Self Assessment document provides important resources for UT Austin students planning on applying to Dental School.
First and Second Year
- Download our Pre-Dental Guide above and subscribe to the HPOInfo emails.
- Get to know your professors. You will need faculty evaluations when you apply to dental schools. Two from science faculty are recommended.
- Meet with an HPO coach in the Health Professions Office to explore health professions and to discuss your goals and preparation, especially how to make the most out of your first two years.
- Declare a major by your second year on campus.
- Non-College of Natural Sciences students are highly encouraged to add the Pre-Health Professions Certificate. Learn more about the certificate here.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities (e.g. student organizations, volunteering, and shadowing in medical settings, community service).
- English proficiency: international students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Attend the Health Professions Fair each year, generally held in February or March, to visit with representatives from dental schools and other health professions programs.
- Keep viable career alternatives open.
- Complete pre-dental requirements by May of your third year.
- Prepare for and take the DAT, ideally no later than the end of your third year.
- Visit dental school websites; decide where you will apply.
- Ask faculty who know you well if they will write evaluations in support of your dental school applications; you will need two faculty evaluations and one dentist evaluation. Science faculty letters are recommended.
- Attend the Health Professions Fair, generally held in February or March, to visit with representatives from dental schools and other health professions programs.
- Complete and submit dental school primary and secondary applications early in the summer, after your 3rd year.
- Most dental school interviews take place during the late summer and the fall semester.
- Acceptance to dental school begins during the fall semester.
- Complete UT Austin degree requirements necessary for graduation.
- Throughout your fourth year, continue in pre-dental activities and additional courses to prepare for dental school and to strengthen your application in case you need to apply again.