Course Requirements Overview
This is a guide to common pre-dental course requirements.
Professional schools have a variety of prerequisites required for admission to their programs. On this page, we include information about timelines for pre-dental requirements and the options available.
- Individual schools may require or recommend additional courses.
- All Prerequisites must be completed with a letter grade of C or higher.
- Schools vary on Credit-By-Exam (AP/IB/CLEP) policies and preferences for prerequisites.
School requirements can change. See individual school websites and admissions guides under “Research Dental Schools Before You Apply." We always recommend checking for any updates.
Recommended Pre-Dental Courses
Most Texas dental schools require:
- Biology: Lecture – 12-15 hrs; Lab – 2-3 hrs
- General Chemistry: Lecture – 6 hrs; Lab – 2 hrs
- Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 6 hrs; Lab – 2 hrs
- Biochemistry: Lecture – 3 hrs
- General Physics: Lecture – 6 hrs; Lab – 2 hrs
- Math: Statistics – 3 hrs
- English: Rhetoric (Composition) and/or Literature – 6 hrs
Humanities and Social Science Course Options:
- Psychology and Sociology
- Analytical problem-solving and Critical thinking
- Writing, Interpersonal communications, and Presentation skills
- Small business management and Accounting
- Mechanical drawing and studio art
- Cultural studies
- Spanish and other language studies relevant to your career goals
UT Austin Courses Typically Taken to Fulfill Requirements
In addition to the course lists below, see explanations of requirements on the TMDSAS (Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service) Undergraduate Course Requirements & look at the TMDSAS Approved Course List
|Biology||BIO 311C + BIO 311D + BIO 325 + [BIO 326R or 326M] + BIO 446L + BIO 365S OR [BIO 315H + BIO 325H] + [BIO 326R or 326M] + BIO 446L + BIO 365S BIO 325 is not specifically required, but it is a UT Austin prerequisite for other required upper-division Biology.||
|Statistics||Statistics usually fulfills math requirement at Texas schools. See TMDSAS acceptable statistics courses|
||Choose 1 courses from rhetoric (composition).|
||Choose 1 courses from the literature. Remedial, developmental, and "English As a Second Language" courses are not accepted.|
Dental Schools Prerequisite Course Timelines
Completing the pre-dental courses and extra-curricular activities generally requires six semesters or longer, regardless of the student’s age or year in college. Your personal timeline may differ from these samples. Work with your academic advisor to incorporate these courses into your degree plan.
Important Note: Timelines do not include all course options and details. To be sure that you are fulfilling all requirements, see individual school websites and Research Dental Schools Before You Apply.