The policies below are for currently enrolled students. If you are a recent graduate or alum, please see our Alumni & Post-Bacc Policies page.
HPO appointments are scheduled via Handshake for Peer Mentors, Health Professions Coaches and JAMP Ambassadors.
**Click here to schedule an appointment in Handshake!**
Pre-Health Professions Coaching Appointments
- (2) Health Professions coaching appointments per academic year – one appointment per semester
- These reset in August for the next academic year.
Additional Pre-Health Coaching Appointments During Application or Reapplication Cycle:
- (1) Personal Statement Brainstorming appointment per application cycle
- (1) Interview Prep appointment per application cycle
HP Peer Mentor Appointments
- You can schedule up to (1) student Peer Mentor appointment per week
- (1) 15-minute meeting with an HP Coach per walk-in day is allowed
- First-come, first-served basis with no coach requests
JAMP Ambassador Appointments
- You can schedule up to (1) appointment per week
Appointment Cancellation Policy: We require at least 24 hours notice prior to your scheduled appointment. You can cancel your appointment via Handshake or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know. If no cancellation notice is provided then you will forfeit this appointment.
Who do I meet with? An HPO Coach or HP Peer Mentor?
Schedule an appointment with an HP Peer Mentor for the following topics:
- Learn how to use HPO services ("How many appointments do I get", "what types of appointments are there?")
- Going over prerequisites for chosen professions ("What do I have to take to get into X school?")
- Shadowing opportunities (“how to find, the importance of, what is”)
- Leadership opportunities (“how to find, the importance of, what are”)
- Patient care experience (“how to find, the importance of, what is”)
- How to ask for letters of recommendation/evaluation
- Course load ("Is this reasonable to take in one semester?")
- Study habits/tutoring resources
- Test-taking strategies
Please note: HP Student Peer Mentors are student undergrads and cannot speak to anyone about: grades, transcripts, MCAT scores, registration questions, Add-Drop or Q-Drop/P/F questions, course planning, GPA, gap year plans, travel abroad or personal statements. Schedule with an HP Coach for these questions.
Schedule an appointment with an HP Coach for the following topics:
- Progress checks ("How am I doing? What else do I need to do?")
- Application Strategies & Resources
- Choosing letter writers ("Who should I ask?")
- Academic turnaround ("I am worried about my GPA")
- Potential gap year planning/Post Bacc discussions
- Academic dishonesty/legal issues
- Choosing a health profession and/or changing to a different health profession pathway
- Interview Prep
- Personal Statement Brainstorming
- Q-drop / Pass/Fail & Add/Drop questions
- Reapplication strategies
- Course registration & planning questions (e.g. "Do you know if they are opening another section of XYZ, and will it be in person, online or remote, how do I register for that?")
- Study abroad timeline
- Alumni or Post Bacc Student questions
Schedule an appointment with a JAMP Ambassador for the following topics:
- Want to learn more about JAMP at UT Austin
- Applying to JAMP and have questions about the application process
- Questions from current JAMP members or alternates